jueves, 27 de noviembre de 2008

Saying Goodbye!

Well this week I have had to say quiet a few goodbyes.. which is sad although I know that in reality it is only see you later! We had our last evening in the orphanage and we decided to have a movie night! yes popcorn, fizzy juice, the works! The children were so well behaved and as the leaders we were thinking, where have our kids gone? We were able to buy each child a pair of shoes to take home for summer time. The boys got a hand made pencil case and the girls got a handbag full of goodies. The relationships with the kids were really unique and I look forward to seeing them again in march when they return. Also this week, I went with Naomi and Helen to a place called mirador which is basically a Cristian ran home work club for the children in the local area to come to. As i mentioned about the kids beliving that santa chooses not to come to them, well Naomi spoke to her Church who kindly donated money. With this we were able to but the 40 children a Santa hat, a sketch pad, colouring pencils and a bracelet. It was such an special experiences seeing those childrens faces light up with such a simple little thing in ou eyes, although huge in theirs. The set up is amazing there. Located in a very poor area of the city, the children come to ask for help with homework before or after school and the center offer breakfast and a hot lunch. Yesterday was my last day in Uzzi College, the private primary school that I have been teaching at since I arrived. Although very different experience I must admit, the relationships that I have gained with those children are priceless. At the end of school each grade presented me with letters, drawings etc which are memories I will have forever. If I compare this school to the public secondary school, you can imagine it is different ends of the spectrum. Last week I said goodbye to my two classes which was very hard to be honest. MOst of the students closer to my age, we got on great. You can just imagine me, when Sandra the teacher wasnt listening, my speaking in spanish trying not to be caught. This was a good laugh and in turn they learnt some english! Not bad! I have started visiting a local childrens cancer ward in the center of the city. This is a very precious time in my week. A little girl called Jesica, to be honest she is amazing. So much hope and such a character! We just chat away, even sing which can be a laugh! God have given me so many opportunities here and although now i'm finishing schools etc I know that there will be many more to come! At the moment i'm trying to buy my tickets for Brazil which I leave for on monday! Watch this space! Will keep you updated!! Chau for now! MJ x

No hay comentarios: